Sunday, December 22, 2019

Uncle Foo from Powder Social Club selects 5 #essentialrecords - #vinyloftheday

#vinyloftheday #essentialrecords is a segment that focuses on artists, producers, musicians and collectors sharing their favourite records and the stories behind them. Our guest for this week is Sammy Foo also known as Uncle Foo from Powder Social Club. Continue reading down below to discover more about who he is and what his essentials are.

Getting to know Uncle Foo

Tell us a little about both yourself and Powder Social Club

I’m Samuel Foo, I try to make coffee in the day and I try do music at night. I’ve only recently started diving into electronic music and so far I’ve received nothing but love from the tight knit community that we have here in Singapore. Powder Social Club was started because we felt the need to create an environment for house dancers to enjoy themselves and to be in the moment. Powder Social Cub has evolved from a collective that was focused on deep house to now a collective that dives deeper into difference soundscapes of the electronic world.

What kind of music inspires you? and how would you describe your DJ Style ?

Recently, I’ve been very inspired by producers like Matrixxman, Bawrut and Super Flu. Which covers the spectrum of techno, acid and house music. These artists have kept my ears very excited whenever I play their tracks in a club or at home. I draw a lot of inspiration from individual sounds and the structure of their production.

What can we expect from you and Powder Social Club in the near future?

Powder Social Club will continue to focus on our monthly club nights at Headquarters. In addition to that, there is a secret collaboration that is in the works with a clothing brand. You can follow us on our social media @powdersocialclub to get updates from us!

Uncle Foo’s 5 #Essentialrecords

Rufus is an Italian producer who released his EP “like a virgin” in 2009. This record made an impression on me when I was digging at Lighthouse Records in Tokyo. Every single track that I listened to could be used in specific moments in a set. Given these points, I feel that records like this are hard to come by.

2. Matrixxman – The Grind

Matrixxman is the first producer that made me fall in love with techno. His mix of acid and dark atmospheric layers has been a huge inspiration in the music that I play. Likewise the way I try to make music. For that reason, Matrixxman has been heavy in my rotation when I play out. I remember being so happy when I saw this record on the wall at Phonica in London.

Octo Octa in my opinion falls under a group of producers that are important to the underground music scene in recent times along with Eris Drew. This record shows Octo Octa’s ability to make tracks from house to techno to breakbeat. Moreover it clearly translates in the album. Octo Octa was the person that really inspired me to produce with hardware. So this happened after I watched an interview that Octo Octa did, he explained to the audience about what happens in the studio.

Bawrut has been my favourite producer and DJ for a while now. His boiler room set is the perfect introduction to his music. I was fortunate enough to catch him live in Singapore at Headquaters. The track Pronto Argpeggio captivated the whole room with the drop after the long anticipation. Bawrut’s energy could be felt through his music and the way he moves to the tunes that he so believes in. Bawrut was nice enough to sign my copy of his Ep that I managed to find at Phonica Records. Without a doubt Bawrut’s discography is in my arsenal whenever I play out.

This $4 record was a random find at one of the record stores in Bangkok in Fortune Town. Also, this is the record that really got me interested in the minimal sound. It made me realise that sometimes less can be more.

Keep up with Uncle Foo on Instagram and of course check out his music here.

Let's block ads! (Why?)



"powder" - Google News
December 23, 2019 at 01:45PM
https://ift.tt/397ydGw

Uncle Foo from Powder Social Club selects 5 #essentialrecords - #vinyloftheday
"powder" - Google News
https://ift.tt/340CkR7
Shoes Man Tutorial
Pos News Update
Meme Update
Korean Entertainment News
Japan News Update
Share:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment